This article was originally printed in the Winter 2015 Edition of the quarterly Explorer.
You can read Dr. Clingenpeel’s article here.
The Board of Deacons (BOD) as hoc Interim Pastor Committee (the Committee) has been working to determine how to structure interim staff to meet the pastoral needs of our church during the interim period. We appreciate the input we received from the congregation and others during our work.
The Committee has recommended that the following interim personnel structure be put in place, and has worked with the Personnel Committee to finalize the following arrangements:
Dr. Bert Browning will be joining us in January as our Interim Preacher. Bert is recently retired from the role of senior pastor at Huguenot Road Baptist Church where he served for 18 years and has been very active in Virginia Baptist life.
Dr. Dan Bagby will continue on as our Minister of Pastoral Care. Dan will also be taking on the responsibility for oversight of the staff and business matters from a pastoral perspective during the interim period. Dan will also be preaching for us during the season of Advent.
Rev. Chester Phelps will return to our staff part-time as the Interim Minister of Visitation. Chester will help with visitation and participate in worship and other church functions as needed.
We are very pleased that this combination of experienced and capable leaders will be working with us while we are searching for our pastor. We hope you will welcome them as they begin their new roles.
Susan Rucker worked with the Committee on behalf of the Personnel Committee to help finalize personnel arrangements.
BOD ad hoc Interim Pastor Committee
Susan Phillips, Chair
Dr. Herbert O. (‘Bert’) Browning, Jr. Fun Facts:
- Native of Ettrick/Matoaca area of Chesterfield County
- 37 years as Virginia Baptist pastor
- Served churches in Emporia (Adams Grove 1976-79); Bedford (Mentow 1979-84); and Culpeper (Culpeper 1985-95)
- Moved to Midlothian in 1995 to pastor Huguenot Road Baptist Church
- Retired June 30, 2013 – after 18 years at Huguenot Road
- Resident of Brandermill
- Wife: Rose, who is a retired public school teacher
- Children: Three grown daughters
- Grandchildren: One grandson, two granddaughters
- Matoaca High School
- College of William and Mary
- Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (Master of Divinity)
- Union Presbyterian Seminary (Doctor of Ministry)
- Past President, Va. Baptist Pastors’ Conference
- Past President, Baptist General Association of Virginia
- Past Moderator, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of Virginia
- Past Trustee: Hopetree Family Services; Virginia Baptist Homes
- Present Trustee: Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond
- Present Trustee: Virginia Baptist Homes
- Member, Downing Ruritan Club
- Certified Va. Master Naturalist (Pocahontas State Park chapter)