On a Saturday morning in early September, several hundred nice people will hoof it around the nearby Westham community in the Mission Footprint 5K. With apologies to David Letterman, here are the top ten reasons you should be among the runners, walkers, stumblers that Saturday.
10. You have nothing more important to do at 8 a.m. on Saturday—unless you consider watching Bobby Flay on the Food Network, trimming your toenails, or lining up outside Costco more important—they are not.
9. I know what most of you look like, and you could use the exercise. So could I.
8. You can get ideas for landscaping your yard as you walk past several hundred homes in a nice neighborhood.
7. You will meet an old friend, or make a new one, as you amble along. This is not the Olympics. Speak to people as you go. Smile as you huff and puff.
6. You may win a prize for finishing first, second or third in your age category. Your chances increase dramatically if you are in the over 100 age group.
5. You will get a t-shirt if you sign up by August 24. Hot pink is in the running year, which will keep you from getting run over by an over-eager shopper at Costco or being hit by a car while doing yard work.
4. You earn an excuse to leave the 5K for the belly busting buffet at the Golden Corral.
3. You will help raise money for CARITAS, CrossOver Ministry, the Micah Initiative, Camp Alkulana, and Westview on the James. Remember…it is the “Mission” Footprint 5K.
2. You will dispel the rumor that Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians cannot work together. Remember…we partner with Third Church and Trinity United Methodist.
1. You will have fun!