Choir Pilgrimage to the West of England
August 4-13, 2019
On Monday, August 5, singers and guest travelers will begin a week-long choir pilgrimage to cathedrals and abbeys in the west of England. Our River Road choir pilgrimage tour is both spiritual and educational. Christians have always celebrated their faith by visiting areas that represent important moments in the history of the Church. A choral pilgrimage is unlike an ordinary tourist’s experience. As pilgrims, we go to see beautiful places, in a new country or locality primarily to connect us to the history of our faith. But as a singer on pilgrimage, unique spiritual encounters await us. Our Pilgrimage Choir has spent dozens of our hours rehearsing and preparing to sing God’s praises in some of the most significant and inspiring houses of worship on earth! Many of you experienced some of our pilgrimage music on Sunday, June 2, when our choir sang Holy Communion and Evensong services under the direction of Huw Williams.
Our week at cathedrals and abbeys will include rehearsal, prayer, worship leadership, study, community building, and of course a little sight-seeing. We look forward to worshiping God, connecting with our history in a meaningful way, and establishing lasting relationships with the contemporary church—within some of the most hallowed spaces in England. This is a rich spiritual opportunity to enter into the centuries-long tradition of choral-led cathedral services in the Anglican tradition, part of River Road’s ecumenical outreach.
We are grateful for the opportunity to represent River Road Church on this pilgrimage. As we will pray for you at each of our stops, we ask you to be in prayer for us as we travel, sing, and worship. We have provided the prayer guide below and we covet your prayers on our behalf.
- Sunday, August 4—Please pray for safety of travel to England for all our pilgrims
- Monday, August 5—For Dr. Gallagher and local trip coordinators Clive Richardson and Ann Gray.
- Tuesday, August 6—For the worshipers in England who will hear our music and be inspired in their worship of God.
- Wednesday, August 7—For our tours of historic Wells Cathedral and Glastonbury Abbey.
- Thursday, August 8—For our Evensong service and concert in Bristol Cathedral.
- Friday, August 9—For our Evensong service in Tewkesbury Abbey.
- Saturday, August 10—For our Worship service in Bath Abbey.
- Sunday, August 11—For our morning eucharist Worship and Evensong services in Bath Abbey.
- Monday, August 12—For our Evensong service in Gloucester Cathedral.
- Tuesday, August 13—For safety of travel home for all our pilgrims.
We look forward to an opportunity to share with you our spiritual experiences upon return.
Written by Daniel Glaze & Bob Gallagher