Prejudice in the Church with Rev. Dr. Valerie Carter (WMUV)
October 7 & 14, 2020
7:00 p.m., Zoom
If there is one place prejudice of any kind should not exist, it is within the church of Christ. Yet over the centuries, the church has been in the thick of of supporting and perpetuating discrimination and exploitation. The only way to make our journey forward in a healthy, whole way is to grapple with the role the church has played and still plays in this ongoing problem.
Dr. Carter, who is currently the Executive Director/Treasurer for the Woman’s Missionary Union of Virginia (WMUV), works to inspire, equip, and help mobilize others though various ministries, many of which care for the needs of the vulnerable, outcast, unlearned, and marginalized. She will lead us from her study and experiences as we dive into a deep conversation about prejudice in the church in the past and present.
How will the program work?
While these sessions are offered at a specific time, they will also be recorded for later listening or viewing on the church website, though watching later will not be interactive like the live Zoom will be. In each session, there will be a presentation piece along with time to ask questions, followed by an opportunity for discussion for any who choose to stay and listen or share.
After signing up, you will receive a Zoom link via email, along with instructions for participating.
First time using Zoom? That’s okay!
- Pre-download Zoom here (it includes links to download mobile apps for Apple and Android devices).
- Unless you have a top notch internet connection at your home, it is recommended that other family members stay off internet during the Zoom (or at least do not stream video, play online games, etc.).
- For the same reason, you will probably only want one connection in the house to the Zoom meeting. In other words, spouses should share the same phone or computer instead of being on separate devices.
- If you lose your connection during the call, go back to the link provided above and log back in.
- When you initially log in, mute your microphone and open up the chat feature to type questions and comments. After the initial greeting, we’ll have you turn your microphones back on for conversation.
Sign up for October 7:
Sign up for October 14: