Adult Wednesday Night Program
Wednesday, January 7
6:30 p.m., Assembly Room
This week’s scripture: Matthew 9:35-10:4
The most familiar collection of Jesus’ teachings is the Sermon on the Mount, found in chapters 5-7 of Matthew’s Gospel. Most people do not recall Jesus’ other sermon—the Sermon on Mission, located in Matthew 9:35-11:1. The first of these speeches teaches the Christian life; the second summarizes Christian mission. In these two sermons we have the being and doing, inhale and exhale, ebb and flow and inward and outward movements of discipleship.
For four Wednesday evenings in January and early February Dr. Clingenpeel will present lectures and lead conversations titled “Jesus’ Other Sermon—the Sermon on Mission.”
Coming up next:
- January 14: Jesus’ Other Sermon: The Instructions for Our Mission Part I (Matthew 10:5-15)
Menu for Adults: Southern-style Pulled Pork (Vinegar BBQ) or Virginia-style Pulled Pork (Tomato BBQ), Cole Slaw, Potato Salad, Watermelon, Rolls, Lemon Chess Pie
Menu for Children: Hot Dog or Hamburger, French Fries, Applesauce, Lemon Chess Pie
Standing reservations for Wednesday Dinners are now available for the spring. The deadline for this pre-payment will be anytime before the first dinner on January 7.
Dinner reservations for this week are now closed. Please make your reservation for next week, January 14, by 11:00 a.m. on Monday, January 12. You may contact the Church Office, email Susan Young, or place a reservation card in the offering plate on January 11.
Regular Wednesday Schedule
- 4:30 p.m. Voice for Life
- 5:15 p.m. Children’s dinner line opens
- 5:30 p.m. Adult dinner line opens
- 6:00 p.m. Children’s Choirs
- Cherub Choir, Preschool Area
- Carol Choir, Youth Choir Room
- Crusader Choir, Main Choir Room
- 6:00 p.m. Youth Group, Youth Area
- 6:30 p.m. Adult Program, Assembly Room or Fellowship Hall
- 6:30 p.m. Chancel Bell Choir, Bell Room
- 6:45 p.m. Mission Kids, Children’s Area