Adult Wednesday Night Program
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
6:30 p.m., Assembly Room
led by Libby Grammer
We have learned from Emily Sumner recently in our Think on These Things dedicated to the topic of immigration that the overly simplistic narrative playing out in politics and the media about immigration falls short of the reality of the laws (and people) themselves. But beyond the realities of the law, what does our faith have to say about migration, hospitality, and human dignity? How should we approach this topic using the tools of faith (Scripture, interpretation, Christian love of neighbor)? In this session, we will discuss a few of the Scriptural narratives and laws about migrants, as well as Jesus’ approach to outsiders – all while keeping in mind the stories of the real people facing the struggle of being undocumented immigrants in our society today.
In addition to being our Minister of Education and Spiritual Formation, Libby Grammer has worked as a paralegal in the field of immigration for almost 9 years. Her study of Christian ethics in her MDiv and MA degrees has focused on the topic of undocumented immigration, including writing two theses on the topic that she hopes to publish as a book in the future.
- April 13: UR Chaplaincy: Inspiring Generous Faith; Engaging the Heart of the University led by Bryn Bagby Taylor, Director of Spiritual Formation and Rabbi Andrew Goodman, Campus Rabbi & Director of Religious Social Responsibility
- Program Rescheduled to April 20: Women in the Old Testament: Their Story, Our Story led by Dr. Melissa Jackson
5:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall
Menu for Adults & Children: Tuna Salad or Egg Salad Plate w/ Focaccia Bread, German Potato Salad, Pickle Spear, Salad Bar, & Ice Cream
Dinner Cost: $7/Adults, $7/Youth, $3/Children, $20/Family Max
Dinner reservations are required. Please make your dinner reservation by Monday, April 4 at 11:00 a.m. You may contact the Church Office, email Susan Young, fill out the form below, or place a reservation card in the offering plate on April 3.
[contact-form to=’email@example.com’ subject=’Wednesday Night Dinner Reservation’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’# Adults’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’# Youth’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’# Children’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Dinner on 4/6′ type=’checkbox’/][contact-field label=’Dinner on 4/13′ type=’checkbox’/][/contact-form]
Regular Wednesday Schedule
- 4:30 p.m. River Road Camerata
- 5:15 p.m. Children’s dinner line opens
- 5:30 p.m. Adult dinner line opens
- 6:00 p.m. Children’s Choirs
- Cherub Choir, Preschool Area
- Carol Choir, Youth Choir Room
- Crusader Choir, Main Choir Room
- 6:00 p.m. Youth Pause, Youth Area
- 6:30 p.m. Adult Program, Assembly Room or Fellowship Hall
- 6:30 p.m. Chancel Bell Choir, Bell Room