Pastoral Care Guidance for Deacons, Stephen Ministers, and the Congregation of River Road Church, Baptist
How to Find Sabbath in the Midst of Stress
- Light a candle, read Scripture.
- Dinner table self-awareness & sharing: In what ways do you need hope, peace, joy, and love? Share with family, a friend .
- Monitor your commitments and schedules (we include too much).
- Make conscious choices and intentional choices about travel/family.
- Combine reflection with exercise (gently) three times a week: What are my choicest memories of the season? What do I want “birthed” in my life? In what ways can I show the “Gift of Presence” to someone else?
- Surround yourself with support; choose safe people/limit time with naysayers: Who raises your stress level—and who reduces it?
- Schedule two sacred musical events into your season, and at least two worship events. Listen to your self-talk: Shed preoccupations while listening.
- Connect with three persons a day: Invest in relationships by blessing them with a phone call, an e-mail, or a written note; don’t isolate yourself.
- Choose compassion: Contempt and kindness are hard to hold together.
- Take a nap on Saturday or Sunday: it’s sacred care of the soul.
When stressed, ask yourself these questions:
- Is this a small, medium, or a large annoyance?
- How upset do I want to get, and for how long?