Sundays, August 6 – September 3, 2017
9:45 a.m., Assembly Room
The Holland Lectures, previously known as The Catacombs Lectures, is an annual series at the end of the summer sponsored by the Shepherd-Holland Bible Study class. The lectures take place during the Sunday School hour, but you do not have to be in a Sunday School class to attend the series. On January 15, 2017, the class voted unanimously to rename the class the Shepard-Holland Bible Study Class, and the Catacombs Lectures, the Holland Lectures, in memory of Dr. Henry Holland.
We hope to record all the lectures, posting them the day after on our website to stream or download.
- August 6 – Rozanne Oliver, Member of Westminster Presbyterian Church, Charlottesville; layperson called to contemplative prayer and retreat leadership.
Topic: Contemplative Prayer: Embracing Closeness to God.
- August 13 – Libby Grammer, Interim Minister of Christian Education and Spiritual Formation, River Road Church, Baptist.
Topic: Spiritual Discernment: Finding Truth, Growing Character, Becoming Disciples.
- August 20 – Dr. Rebecca Wells, Department of Neurology, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.
Topic: The Role of Meditation in the Holistic Practice of Medicine.
- August 27 – MaryAnn McKibben Dana, Presbyterian Minister and Author of Sabbath in the Suburbs.
Topic: Solitude and Prayer in the Life of Faith.
- September 3 – Hanna Zhu, Graduate of Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond and RUAH School of Spiritual Direction at Richmond Hill.
Topic: The Spirituality of St. Anthony, the Founder of Christian Monasticism.