Pastoral Care Guidance for Deacons, Stephen Ministers, and the Congregation of River Road Church, Baptist
Forgiving God: Issues and Questions
For what do people have trouble forgiving God?
- A significant loss or tragedy in life.
- A perceived breach in a covenant or agreement with God.
- A strong sense of the injustice or unfairness of an event.
- Perceived silence of God in the face of a crisis.
- Extended personal suffering (physical/emotional/spiritual).
- For having power to change a tragedy, and not doing so.
Assumptions that affect our forgiveness of God (modified from Lewis Smedes):
- We hurt.
- We hate (rage).
- We heal.
- We come together.
How do we forgive?
- With mystery.
- With caring anger.
- Surrendering our need to control.
- Grieving and wishing it weren’t so.